Florence Scovel Shinn was an author, illustrator, and spiritual teacher in New York City most popular in the 1930’s. She taught the art of affirmation, faith, and truth. In her books The Game of Life and How to Play it, Your Word is Your Wand, The Secret Door To Success, and The Power of The Spoken Word, she utilizes a God-centered approach to becoming a co-creator of our future through affirmations and affirmative prayer.
Immediately after I read the works of Florence Scovel Shinn, I was introduced to and read Divine Magic: The Seven Sacred Secrets of Manifestation by Doreen Virtue and discovered that this was indeed the perfect book to have read next. Doreen describes teachings from the Kybalion based on the teachings of Hermes revolving around the power of thought.
Below is a brief summary of the books and my interpretation of the information. It was quite transformative!
The Game of Life and How to Play it
God creates our divine future; however, often times this is met with resistance due to the human situation. The Power cannot function efficiently and effectively through a resistant vessel. By submitting authority, one may harness God’s divine power to uncover the abundant good that is planned for our lives. Give the burdens of this life to Christ, so that you may be free—this is step one. Step two involves going forward in faith. Step three requires action in faith or preparation for the good God has in store for you. If this requires clearing out a new space for a bigger couch, do it. Maybe you need to buy a business suit for the job interview you are wanting. Prepare and be grateful as if what you want is going to happen. This is faithful action, which affects the subconscious and universal laws of attraction.
When acting under divine law and divine will the way is made clear but may not be fully explained. When affirming, it is important to ask for a definite, obvious lead so you can head in the right path with no doubt.
By refusing to forgive and forget the past, disease is manifested coupled with ill will and fear creating a future filled with exactly that. Bless all opportunities or missed opportunities, relationships, fortune and misfortune and be grateful for lessons learned. This will create a future filled with blessings and joy.
A word on children: Allow the Divine plan to unfold for them. Do not place your ego based ideas and patterns onto their life purpose. This restricts and inhibits God’s will and divine life purpose to manifest in their lives. Allow the Lord to reveal the talents of your children. Understand this is not a battle you should fight but a show you should watch with pride and joy knowing that we are all divinely inspired.
Your Word is Your Wand
All uncertainty and unclear vision can be swept away by our words. If you speak from a place of lack, despair, poor health, and hate the waters will never part and will remain tumultuous. The seas of our lives will part and display a clear path to love, wealth, and bliss through the spoken word.
This book gives several examples of affirmations that I have modernized below:
- “I am grateful for my overnight success in accordance to my Divine plan”
- “I am a genius” or “I am a genius, and I can configure my future.”
- “An abundant supply of money is always available to me.”
- “I am blessed with millions that pile around me in divine right.”
- “Opportunity finds me as if out of nowhere.”
- “I do not worry about letting go of money, God is replenishes it immediately.”
- “My tension is now released because Christ bears my burden.”
- “I am permanently happy, healthy, rich, and loving.”
- “Grace reverses karmic law.”
- “I actively prepare for that which I pray because I faithfully accept it is on its way.”
- “Debt is not a part of my life.”
- “My Angels prepare the way and give me definite signs to follow.”
- “Light surrounds me and evil shrinks away.”
- “My perfect sight allows me to see God in everyone and everything.”
- “My ears hear clearly.”
The Secret Door To Success
Do you find what you do interesting? If the answer is no, then do not expect anyone else to find you interesting. This will not pave the way for career or personal success. The lower vibrations associated with boredom and dislike repel the higher vibrations. Higher vibrations include success, abundance, and material or manifest objects which represent this vibration. Preparation demonstrates faithful prayer. Expect miracles. Are you serving fear or faith? Trusting God should not be risky business as He provides a way when there is not one. As we seek God, His presence and guidance will seek us. Seeking God is displayed through affirmations, preparation, and positive expectations. To catch the good that precedes us we must open our eyes, ears, and hearts before it escapes.
I love this quote:
“Every day examine your consciousness and see just what are you preparing for. You are fearful of lack and hang on to every cent, thereby attracting more lack. Use what you have with wisdom and it opens the way for more to come to you.”
Resentment of poor decisions creates disease as no organ is immune to it. Despite diet or nutrition, resentment may be the disorder that needs remedy.
Consider how you make decisions:
- You seek advice from everyone, make a decision, and instantly regret having taken their advice.
- You carefully consider your own thoughts as well as those of others and make a calculated decision based on both. You are surprised if the decision is wrong.
- You follow your intuition, which is divine guidance, and others are shocked at how “lucky” you are. You resent nothing as you have chosen by divine guidance.
We have billions of thoughts each day rushing in and out with no control; however, we have direct power over our words. Repetitive words impress the subconscious and thus the universal laws of attraction. Our conditioned lives forces our imagination into submission. It is through imagination that the channels of success open.
The Power of the Spoken Word
Positive affirmations are statements of truth that enable you to transmute a situation such as transmuting failure to success. By submitting to divine will we give up control, which then leaves time to prepare for our good. Do not be a resenter, resister, or regretter. This is exhausting not only to yourself but to your friends and family, and you lose sight of the beauty of the perfect, present moment. Do not be fooled into thinking that things must be complicated. When we act with the authority of Divine Intelligence, the congestion is cleared, disease is remedied, and our lives flow effortlessly with joy, ease, and satisfaction. Here are the words of Jesus Christ:
“Ask, believing, thou shalt receive”
“When ye pray believe ye have it.”
“Why are ye fearful, oh, ye of little faith?”
Use the power of transmutation to turn all disappointments into good. By speaking and believing in this way, you will find all that you have wanted.
Divine Magic: The Seven Sacred Secrets of Manifestation
“When the pupil is ready to receive the truth, then this little book will come to him or her.”
This book is a modern translation of Hermetic principles found in the Kybalion written in 1908. Hermes is said to be the founder of philosophy and taught based on the idea that our ability to heal resides in the mind. The book is based around the following principles (consider each one carefully):
- God is mind also known as thought.
- Everything is everything. “As above, so below; as below, so above.”
- Vibration describes constant movement. Everything vibrates. It is an illusion that anything is permanently bound down, unmovable, unchangeable.
- Everything is dual and can be its opposite. Therefore, we can change or transmute all situations.
- Everything is rhythmic. We avoid cycles in our life but we can adjust the swing of the pendulum.
- Cause and effect are always linked. No word you speak returns void.
- Everything is both masculine and feminine, static gender is an illusion.
Through the understanding of these principles I discovered and was amazed by the idea that even the universe is too defined to be described as God. God has thoughts, and this is what sparks creation. His thoughts are vibrations. Vibrations form what we perceive as solid matter or may also produce other thoughts. Vibration by nature is cyclical and can be moved. Therefore, it can be changed or can transmute into something that is the total opposite of what we perceive it to be (both manifest and unmanifest, tangible and intangible). Once there is thought (or cause), there is an effect, absolutely nothing returns void. Every thought or creation is both masculine and feminine and from the same “essence” as everything else, or as I like to say…everything is everything.
Shinn, Florence S. Wisdom of Florence Scovel Shinn: 4 Complete Books. 1989.
Virtue, Doreen. Divine Magic: The Seven Sacred Secrets of Manifestation. 2006. Hay House Inc.